SEASHELL RESTUARANT/TAKEAWAY of LISSON GROVE
Here at Seashell Restaurant/Takeaway we recognise and take our responsibilities and duties under the Disability Discrimination Act seriously and wish to make everyone’s experience to our venue enjoyable. We seek to ensure that its activities are accessible to everyone, wherever practicable. It aims to provide easy, dignified access to its Restaurant/Takeaway whenever this can reasonably be done. As part of the recent refurbishment we have made a ramp access to the front Takeaway area and have also made part of the service counter lower so that wheelchair bound persons can easily access this area. These adjustments have been made in accordance with all relevant British Standards (BS8300) and Building Regulations (Approved Document M).
The Seashell Restaurant has a folded platform wheelchair lift located to the side of the property, by the steps to the main entrance for the Restaurant and can be used by anyone who has difficulty with using stairs. We recently had a DDA Audit conducted to provide us with an action plan to conform to the requirements of the 1995 Disability Discrimination Act, Amended 2005 (DDA) of which we are working too.
A disable toilet is located by the main entrance of the Restaurant and has easy access. Again the recent refurbishment has taken into account the needs to comply with the DDA Act.
We welcome your comments be it from individuals or from access groups on our services, programmes and the facilities we provide. It would help us to know how useful you found this guide and what improvements we might make to future editions. Please contact us via our website http://www.seashellrestaurant.co.uk/contact.aspx
• The Seashell Restaurant venue is located on the corner of Lisson Grove and Shroton St. near Marylebone main train station. The front entrance is for the Takeaway service with the Restaurant entrance located to the side on Shroton St.
Getting to the venue
Getting to Lisson Grove is easy, and we have some of the best transport links in London. You can reach us by boat, tube, bus, train or car.
• By Car - Unfortunately there are no parking spaces allocated to the Restaurant, however there can be a dropping off / collection point at the side of the Restaurant in Shroton St., there is a ramp on the pavement for easy access. Staff will be able to meet and greet any persons that may need assistance in accessing the restaurant if special arrangements are made prior during bookings.
If you are driving, there is ample private car parking nearby in the Euro Car Park, which is located on Dorset Square, which is a 5 minute walk away.
• LUL and BR - 2 minute walk from Marylebone train and tube station on the Bakerloo line. Chiltern Railways mainly serve the main line station
• Bus - We are well serviced by London Bus routes, numbers 18, 27,139. Night bus routes; N27, N139 and N453. To see a map of the bus routes and bus stops in the local area, click http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/bakerstreetandmarylebone-2010.pdf
• The closest bus stop is outside the Marylebone main rail station.
• External Access to the Venue
The area surrounding the Restaurant is generally level and free from major defect with drop kerb access from road. A ramp is in place for the Takeaway entrance and folded wheelchair lift for the Restaurant.
The entrance to the Restaurant is via steps on either side which lead to the main double door side hung doors affording 1400mm opening width. There is no alternative access to the venue. There is a folded wheelchair lift located to one side of the entrance steps in which trained staff can use when required. The Restaurant is located only on the ground floor with ample space between tables for easy access and a disable toilet located by the bar, near the main entrance.
From the front Takeaway service, there is a stepped entrance in which a ramp has been fitted to provide easy access for wheelchair bound persons. The front counter has a section which has been lowered in accordance with relevant standards for wheelchair bound persons. There is a flat surface area around the counter
• There are tables situated around the Restaurant floor and are spacious, presenting sufficient space between for access
• There is sufficient lighting to ensure a safe environment and emergency lighting installed for power cut situations
• The main toilet facilities are located downstairs to the basement level of the Restaurant. There are hand rails and sufficient lighting in place.
• Currently there is one suitable disabled toilet facility located on Restaurant floor near the bar area and has plenty on movement space to access. It is our aim to ensure the toilet will become a fully DDA compliant in the near future.
Dining and Entertainment Experience
• Full waiting service is provided for food and drink requirements.
In event of fire the alarm is in the form of an electronic sounder which forms part of the automatic detection system in place which is to a L2 type system in accordance with BS5839-1 2002. As the entrance to the main Restaurant is via steps we recognise there are potential issues with evacuation of wheelchair users and persons with ambulant disabilities. Part of our management role is to ensure all staff is trained in our fire emergency procedures and Generic Emergency Evacuation Plans (GEEPS) that have been formatted. This will take into account the scenario of the folded wheelchair lift being out of action or if more than one wheelchair bound person are in the Restaurant.
Information and other guidance
Brochures, menus and guest information can be provided in large print by prior arrangement.
We have an informative website or you can contact us via phone or email (details below).
The Seashell Restaurant fully complies with the new fire regulations - a professional fire risk assessment was independently undertaken in 2010 and is reviewed annually. We are fully insured for public liability and have obtained our entertainment license through London Borough of Tower Hamlets.
The Sea Shell Restaurant
49 - 51 Lisson Grove, London NW1 6UH
Tel: 020 7224 9000
Faxl: 020 7724 9071
Restaurant & Take-away
Monday - Saturday 12.00 pm - 10.30 pm
In conclusion we are committed to continually improve in providing the best access and experience for our guests. The Seashell Restaurant will regularly review its policies and guidelines relating to disability access, and amend both in relation to evolving best practice, the development of new techniques and potentially changing structure developments within the Restaurant itself.